Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Question on Cisco ASA's... do all the features slow it down?

From: ChrisSerafin <chris () chrisserafin com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 10:35:26 -0600

ASA's have a bunch more memory. I have a cluster of 2 5510 running a
HUGE web company with no ill effects. Basic static NAT, remote VPN...

Chris Serafin
chris () chrisserafin com

John G. wrote:
hello list,

we are currently running Cisco PIX 515E's with 128 Megs of RAM.  the
problem is their CPU's are getting up to high 80% usage.  gone through
a bunch of troubleshooting things and i think it is just time to upgrade.

my question is do the IDS/IPS features of the ASA make it kinda slow?
i would hate to have us upgrade to these devices just to find us in
the same spot.  what do people think of the ASA's as compared to the
vaunted PIX?

we were thinking of getting this model: Cisco ASA5510-SEC-BUN-K9

thanks much,
jg