Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Appropriate PIX logging level

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:42:51 -0400

David Lang wrote:
I'm actually trying to keep filters out of the path (until the data hits the primary archive, after it's there, copies
can (and will be) filtered like crazy)

Is that a specific requirement for some legal reason or something? It seems
somewhat, um, arbitrary.

You might prefer taking a look at minirsyslog - it's got zero processing options
and just slams stuff to disk without doing anything fancy at all. You'll still have
the problem that you're going to need a separate input / processing loop
and, to me, it just makes more sense to inline all that stuff.

I actually have been trying syslog-ng and am horribly disappointed with it's performance,

Well, it could be worse! It could use BEEP. ;) But, yes, I agree, syslog-ng is
very "feature rich"

mjr.