Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: dual ISP connections

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 17:24:56 -0700

--On Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:11 AM -0400 James Paterson
<jpaterson () datamirror com> wrote:

We went through this same thing several years back, BGP is a large
hassle that is really not necessary these days, you can get devices made
by several vendors that handle this type of high availability / load
balancing. Radware's LinkProof, F5's Big IP are a couple, and there are
many more. No need for ASN's no need for a full /24 network, it all
works via DNS.

As long as you ignore:

- DNS Caching (frequently requiring a client restart - yes, those clients
are broken - no, we can't make users fix them).
- Existing connections will be dropped

Sure. But be _very_ sure you understand what the costs are if you avoid the
real BGP solution.

--
Carson