Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The Outgoing Traffic Problem --

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:16:05 -0700

--On Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:51 PM -0400 "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
wrote:

As far as I can see, the endgame is going to be one of two
things.
- Organizations are going to try to add signature-style
controls to SSL transactions and are going to rely on "man
in the middle" style interception tricks and (call 'em what
you want) signatures to detect malicious traffic
- Organizations are going to have to positively identify
sites with which it is necessary/appropriate to do SSL
transactions

I really wish I'd gone & patented my "benevolent dictator MITM attack" back
in '96, but I was/am too damned lazy... I haven't looked at the current
crop of commercial MITM SSL proxies, but one simple method of weeding out
some naughty connections is for the proxy to enforce server cert validity
(with the inevitable exception list for crap sites that we nonetheless must
do business with). I suspect this would stop a large percentage of HTTPS
phone-home schemes, unless they're using hijacked sites' legitimate certs.

Of course that's just another finger in one of many holes in the dike.
Personally, I'd love to deploy a dual client environment using some syscall
ACL tech. Normal apps have full (well, normal user) local privs, but may
only go to whitelisted sites off net. To access random cruft, a user must
use a sandboxed app that is allowed to do very little indeed. I _think_
this would be a decent tradeoff that would allow crap 3rd party apps to
work, and allow users to visit their favorite malware-infected sites
without sideswiping the rest of the company on the way. Of course,
enforcing that only the sandboxed app can get at the default-permit proxy
is an interesting technical and political problem...

--
Carson