Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: In defense of non standard ports

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:35:55 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, ArkanoiD wrote:

Allowing uncotrolled HTTP CONNECT to any port seems quite suicidal for
any reasonable security policy, am i wrong?

As suicidal as allowing all TCP outbound.  Which is happening *way* too
much, and is the reason we see things like botnets rapant on hospital
networks.

I think you shouldn't be allowed to install I{D,P}S until your firewall
ruleset is this | high.

Paul