Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: RE: In defense of non standard ports

From: "Bill Royds" <bill () royds net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:32:16 -0500

A good firewall should have the capability of allowing its firewall rules to
label traffic through a non-standard port as HTTP (or HTTPS) and properly
analyze it. So, even though it is a port other than 80/443, there should be the
same rules and restrictions applied to it as for normal HTTP.
  For example, some application firewalls allow on to have a IP specific rule
such as
From internal:any to specifichost(or subnet):1234 allow HTTPS

This would be set on the outgoing firewall and only allow approved traffic to
that host and port.

Creating this rule would then follow the standard policy process for allowing
outgoing traffic.

It is not the non-standard port that is the problem, but the concept that one
should somehow ignore policy because of their use.

As a postscript, when I managed a corporate firewall, I found that a number of
sites and applications were trying to pass arbitrary traffic through HTTPS by
just believing that it would not be examined by an application proxy more than
checking the headers. Our particular firewall (Symantec SEF) actually had an
HTTPS proxy and complained that the handshake was not correct and refused it.