Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW appliance comparison - Seeking input for the forum

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:24:09 -0500

I wrote:
Anyhow, in firewalls, the design switched from conservative
default deny AT LAYER 7 to default permit. No longer did
your HTTP traffic have to look like HTTP - now it could look
like *anything* as long as it had a URL in front of it. Thus
the firewall became permeable to spyware, SOAP, trojans,
etc, etc.

A comment to my comment, which I forgot to make!!

Of course if the firewalls of the mid-late 1990s had constrained
the HTTP protocol's growth by only allowing a strictly controlled
format through, spyware and trojans would still happen. The
bad guys would be controlling their remote systems, or exporting
data by coding it into images or encoding it into URLs (let alone
SSL!) - so retarding protocol expansion is not a panacea, it's
always a temporary measure. The interesting thing, however, is
that it makes it a lot harder for the bad guys to get their data
through, and it makes it a lot easier to detect when they do.
For example, back in the early days of proxy firewalls for HTTP,
some proxies allowed you to do nice things like permit incoming
GIFs less than size X and incoming JPEGs less than size Y and
deny incoming .EXE, etc. Again, such properties can be used to
implement default deny, or default permit, depending on the IQ
of the administrator.

mjr.