Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recommendations on modeler/change manger for PIX & FWSM

From: Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:12:13 -0600

On 1/24/06, Cary, Kim <Kim.Cary () pepperdine edu> wrote:
Been watching the list with interest for about 6 months! Thanks for the good
discussion.

We have several PIX & FWSM (PIX Blades) our team is managing. We've been
using PDM (Cisco's Java tool for managing PIX) for distributed
administration, but we've been getting tired of its shortcomings in
documenting our rules. Also, we'd like to find something that handles change
management (reporting, maybe rollback or state snapshots) and modeling (if
traffic from 'here' starts to go 'there' what does the firewall do).

I've implemented a perl script and SVN based solution here for
managing config changes - archiving/versioning them. Depending on
where the devices are located in relation to where you run the
scripts from it can wait to receive a trap stating the config has
changed or run from a cron job and go grab it. E-mail me off-list and
I'll give you what I've got.

Can't help with the rest - though you could, in theory, use these
scripts as a basis for creating new configs to upload programmaticly.
The perl modules available are pretty robust.