Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Info Request: Looking for alternatives in HA/Load balancing firewalls ...

From: "Keith A. Glass" <salgak () speakeasy net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:50:19 -0400

Pardon me for working in a program with evolving requirements!

When we started, we were told it was purely a web portal.  Last week, we
discovered, at a meeting, "Oh, yeah, and we still want to push App Z's input
data in as SMTP with attachments".  And despite all cajoling and requests
for common sense, like downloads via http transfer, the customer has
INSISTED we keep plain vanilla FTP.  Not SFTP, nothing SSH based, but
incredibly insecure, creaking old FTP.  Which we're now specifying to have
its' very own little DMZ.    And as discovery for requirements continues, I
now expect other informational IEDs. .

So it's more like going in for a hangnail, getting a physical, and finding
high blood pressure, incipient diabetes, and precursors to heart disease. .
. as well as the hangnail.

Moral: don't make assumptions.  I SAID we were gathering requirements.  We
just found a significantly broader range than initially inspected . . .