Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Info Request: Looking for alternatives in HA/Load balancing firewalls ...

From: "Keith A. Glass" <salgak () speakeasy net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:56:03 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com
[mailto:firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com] On Behalf Of Peter J.
Cherny
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 9:39 AM
To: firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Info Request: Looking for alternatives in HA/Load
balancing firewalls ...

At 04:24 AM 5/4/06, Keith A. Glass wrote:
We're currently spec'ing functional requirements for a new web-based
implementation of a number of enterprise apps.  One obvious problem is

I'm wondering, if it's a "new web-based implementation",
why you need a L3 firewall ?

I'd have thought a simple stateless filter rule that allows
web access, but denies the rest, would suffice.
The state kept by the SLB fixes returned packets by only
NATing valid session traffic.

Because it's not JUST web, but that's the way the project was sold.

It's a web portal front-end for a number of disparate apps, plus some
high-volume (huge attachments) email plus possibly some FTP (I know, I know.
. .) and a few other minor things. . .

My contrary view is that the firewalls don't belong out-front,
but should live deeper in a layered architecture ...
... defense-in-depth means multiple choke points,
not just a single perimeter barrier.

We're currently envisioning it as a DMZ with firewalls on both sides, and,
of course, DIFFERENT firewalls on different hardware/software platforms. . .
.