Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: scanning...

From: Hile.William () epamail epa gov
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:41:53 -0500

NMAP would be an excellent tool... you can put in the IP range or subnet
with that... As far as traversing firewalls... it will only report what
ports are allowed through the firewall for each host... so you are
firewall ruleset dependant so it may not give you complete results for a
host on the other side of a firewall... It will report as an example port
80 is allowed through and httpd is running on the host in question so it
will report that service but smptd is also running on the server however
its not allowed through the firewall from you so you will not know its
listening because you cant see the port... so you are basically bound to
your firewall rule set  there could be servers beyond your firewall that
are up and functional but that you do not have access to any of the
services running on them so from your perspective they will essentially be
down.

William

Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com>
11/02/2005 02:31 PM

William Hile/RTP/USEPA/US@EPA
cc
firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com,
firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com
Subject
Re: [fw-wiz] scanning...

I was going to mention nmap - which I wouldn't mind using in this effort
at all. The question is, will it traverse the firewalls?

Isn't there a "true" management network operation you can use on Cisco
boxes that work as a "private VLAN" and be passed via most any device -
even a PIX (and they think they're a part of VLAN 1 or whatever, right?)?
Words in "s are there for a lack of better ones, or my lack of
understanding.

On 11/2/05, Hile.William () epamail epa gov < Hile.William () epamail epa gov>