Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: A fun smackdown...

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 21:46:14 -0400

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

Ah, I see he has now made it the Ultimately Secure Intrusion Prevention
System ("featuring signature-less anomaly detection and blocking
technology!!").  ;-)

Joe, Joe, Joe!!!!    I've UPDATED IT just for you. :) Now it's the:

The Ultimately Secure DEEP PACKET INSPECTION AND INTERFERENCE INTERFACE SYSTEM
Featuring signature-less anomaly detection and blocking technology with application awareness and layer-7 state
tracking!!!

You'll be thrilled to see that I'm now offering it as a petabyte-capable
appliance, too. It does have some performance impact on traffic when
you enable it, though.

I.e.: "same sh&t, different marketing"
Much like all the "stateful inspection" firewalls and "intrusion prevention
systems" etc etc etc...

mjr.