Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: A fun smackdown...

From: marty () supine com (Martin)
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 08:05:25 +1000

$quoted_author = "Paul D. Robertson" ;

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Martin wrote:

"Be liberal in what you accept; be strict in what you send."

_All_ effective security controls break that tenet.  The more liberal your
controls, the more risk you assume.

My original use of the quote was in the context of "adaptive" IDS/IPS as
mentioned in the article. If the system gets too "smart" about recognising
"new"[1] attacks then it can break that tenet and deny legitimate traffic.

I guess the point I'm trying to make that in a security context the quote
only applies to protocols / connections that should be allowed according to
policy but may be denied due to "smart" software[2].

cheers
marty

[1] where "new" = "no signature / fingerprint / definition available for it"
[2] which doesn't really exist, all software sucks.