Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: pix 501 logging question

From: "Paul Melson" <psmelson () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:32:56 -0500

Nate,

From what I can see, you have your access-list configured correctly.  What
do your logging commands look like?  What version of PIX OS are you running?
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that you're not
seeing messages because the default interval (300s) is longer than you
anticipate.  You could modify that line of your config to use a smaller
interval and see if it makes a difference:

access-list inbound deny ip any any log 4 interval 10

Then your flows for that line would only last for 10s (but who cares since
it's a deny, right?), which would lead to more syslog data from persistent
dropped traffic, but make dropped traffic more 'visible.'  Also, the default
log level for access-list logging is 6, but if you can see one you should
see them all, so I doubt that's an issue.

You don't need to force the PIX to log these denials, though.  Packets that
are blocked by access-list are logged by default.  If you're using 'no
logging message' and then turning specific messages back on as a way of
filtering syslog data, then you will need to issue 'logging message 106023
level 4' (or whatever level is being sent to your syslog server) to see
these messages.  If you're filtering at the syslog server, then you're
probably getting these messages and will need to adjust your parsing as
appropriate to see them.

I recommend sticking with the default PIX syslog ID in your messages,
especially if they may end up going through a log analyzer like Sawmill or
eIQ.  Many of these programs (even some of the free Perl scripts) rely on
the message number to determine what kind of activity they're looking at.
Since 106100 is a generic syslog ID that corresponds to the 'access-list
log' command, your data would probably be off as a result.

PaulM