Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Citrix vs OWA

From: David Lang <david.lang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:52:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Brian Gardner wrote:

Greetings everyone.

As the network administrator (and security minded person) for our small
local government network (300 users), I've been asked to make our
internal email (Exchange 2003) and other applications (not web based
apps, just internal) and files available from the internet through our
Checkpoint firewall.  I've done much reading on Outlook Web Access and
it's security implications as well as followed the many topics here
regarding remote access.  What I haven't seen mentioned here as an
alternative to OWA is Citrix via the Presentation Server and Secure
Gateway.

Assuming you deploy the Citrix solution properly, apply patches, etc,
what is the general consensus regarding Citrix?  Good idea?  Bad idea?
At this point I haven't deployed or setup anything, and I'm not looking
for specific instructions or how-to's, rather a feel for which I'm going
to have the least amount of trouble with, and an answer to the statement
my supervisor(s) make that "everybody else does it, why can't we?"

the microsoft RDP has been enhanced over the years so that it also does encryption (like the citrix stuff), the key question is what you do for authentication. There are plugins for Citrix for token-based authentication systems, and some of those vendors are now starting to support raw RDP ('terminal server') use.

David Lang

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no
deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.