Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Going meta (was RE: Ok, so now we have a firewall...)

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () stjoelive com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 12:50:48 -0500

Has no one here gotten further with their boss in security discussions since
SOX was passed? I have found that in my current position, SOX is pretty much
all I have to mention to get an immediate response, and a friend, working as
a mid-level manager himself, was constantly spammed by his boss in regards
to SOX compliance.

To be honest, I'm new to SOX so I don't even understand everything that it
involves, but it seems those responsible for information security can be
held personally responsible. That's a level of accountability that I might
not completely agree with in terms of my philosophy on government, but its
one that we should all consider a good start, right?

But I've paid for that. Two months ago he did a performance
appraisal
on me, giving me the first "unsatisfactory" rating I've
received in 26
years of working for the university. I'm on probabtion and having to
document literally every minute of my day. Not that it will make any
difference - I fully expect to be unemployed when my
contract expires in August.

This is the price I'm paying for *not* being a "sissy".

That sucks!  I mean, it is quite possible he is just the
breed of pencil-neck career-monkey that occur so often in the
wild and you would never be able to live with him, anyway,
but this is precisely the kind of situation that occurs again
and again and grinds us down as a group.  Of course it's
grinding you now specificially, but I bet you a bottle of
Jameson's that you end up making more money this time next
year than you are now (and maybe more than your petty boss
:-) and enjoy your work more.

I've been following the accountability thread, and it occurs
to me that the one thing we desparately lack is the ability
to deliver good practices that people can follow and be held
accountable for following.  In a Perfect World it would be a
piece of paper that Scott could take to his boss's boss and
say "I insisted we follow this, as is my responsibility, and
Rung Lemur here is all pissy about it."