Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Transitive Trust: 40 million credit cards hack'd

From: "Kevin Sheldrake" <kev () electriccat co uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:12:42 +0100

Without wanting to drag this analogy too far...

If you only care about your own systems, then outrunning the other guys might work. If you also care about systems that store and process your information, then you might have more of a problem on your hands.

Imagine that it is no longer just your own life that you are worried about, but that of your new born babies (your personal information). Some of these babies get passed to adoring aunties and uncles and, in extreme cases, grandparents, where they are happily looked after. When the machine-gun-wielding army of bears appears on the horizon, you'll still outrun the other guys, but some of your babies might get eaten. To counter this, you need to outrun the bears, outrun the other guys, but also keep tabs on, and protect, all the custodians of your babies.

Changing the state of the industry, so that all people have the opportunity to purchase and wear bear-resistant armour should lower your exposure to bear-related catastrophies.

:)

Kev

And you (and others) assume there's only two runners.

I still think I'll make an attempt to out run the bear and
be as tough a target as I can afford, and hope the bear is
smart enough to pursue the easy targets.

The point is, don't make yourself the _easy_ target, when there are
things you can do that the other (easier targets) aren't doing.
When there are enough bears and few targets, everyone will get
attacked, but don't lightly toss aside the benefit of making
yourself as hard a target as you can afford. Right now, there
are still plenty of honey-soaked targets for the bears to enjoy.

I'm not necessarily saying this is a completely fail-safe way to
secure your environment, but from what I have seen of other
environments, at least the honey isn't dripping off you and
leaving a trail for the bear to easily follow. Let it drip off
the other guy(s).

Jeff