Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Opinion: Worst interface ever.

From: Jan Tietze <jan () planet-pinguin de>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:17:26 +0200

Paul D. Robertson schrieb:

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 StefanDorn () bankcib com wrote:
I can't even imagine trying to audit the "we'll pick the most exact
match"
The target audience of the Firebox really doesn't know what an audit is. They usually also don't have much of a budget.

ruleset evaluation of one of these beasts.  If I thought there was any
chance the old software would work with the new box, I'd be loading that
tomorrow.  My "same vendor" rationale is right out the window- the two
products aren't even close- other than the fact they're both red.
Since this came up a lot - AFAIK the Watchguard Firebox X series is not ASIC-based, but based on readily-available x86-style hardware in a nice red box that mounts in your favorite data center rack and looks really pretty. It still has mostly the same software on it that used to work in their previos appliances (Firebox 10/100/II/III series), and that means it shares the unholy heritage of their rather "unconventional" approach to rulesets. The ASIC-based Vclass offerings were originally RapidStream boxes, and they use a totally separate piece of management software that uses a more traditional approach for ruleset ordering. The Firebox series really is a SMB device targeted at someone who is so unfamiliar with firewalls that he won't notice the difference compared to other firewalls anyway.

The 7.x series of software does this- precedence is based on how specific
each rule is. The most specific rules are evaluated first, and so on. Of
But what counts as specific?  Is a port more or less specific than an
address?  Is a protocol less specific than a user?  If they do an ASIC
rev, is my happy little ruleset going to do something different if I have
to replace a box?
This used to be in their documentation. Also, while we're at it - what's "incoming" and "outgoing"? They *did* change that once between releases. Their Firebox II/III boxes used to have 3 NICs only, one for External, one Trusted, one Optional (DMZ) network (this alone should tell you something about the target market). Basically, incoming and outgoing are arranged like this:

Trusted -> Optional -> External
---------- outgoing ----------->
<-------- incoming -----------

However, things get very interesting when you are having VPN users or sites, because that doesn't fit in very well in this logic, and it was also changed recently.

One thing you should do when creating a ruleset in WFS (don't know about 8.0, but for pre-8.0, this is true) to avoid confusion about ruleset ordering is create rulesets like this:

<TRU|OPT|EXT|VPN>-<TRU|OPT|EXT|VPN>-ServiceName

with only one of "Incoming" and "Outgoing" set to "enabled and allowed", and the other set to "Disabled". This means for each given service and direction, you can only have a single "service icon" match. This might end up with rules that are too permissive (ie. you wish to enable communication between to hosts Trusted_A and Optional_B as well as Trusted_B and Optional_C, but not Trusted_A and Optional_C), which is when you should just create another rule of the same kind (preferrably with a somewhat descriptive suffix). When following this nomenclature, you won't create rules that are too permissive, and can work around the magic ruleset ordering problem (just one rule for each service, ruleset of evaluation doesn't matter anymore). It sure isn't pretty though, but when you have lots of rules, the nomenclature also helps you find the rule you seek.

course, the software itself does nothing to show you the order they are
in. I think I recall reading that in the newer "Fireware Pro" software,
you can manually set precedence. Maybe it hasn't been implemented yet.
I think their marketing department needs smacked.  I didn't even start to
go on about having three interfaces in the box I can't use unless I pay
more money.
In all fairness, that's really not that unusual, given that some license their products on throughput etc.

While I'm ranting- what's with support hours from 9-6pm *at my
location*?
You could get Gold support and 24x7 support hours ;-) Also, if you purchased from a Watchguard partner, you should be able to get some help from them. And getting access to the support website also shouldn't be very difficult with a LiveSecurity key (don't expect too much from it though; the known issues list is notoriously incomplete...).

Hello Watchguard- firewalls are *production* boxes, downtime doesn't get
scheduled for when the users are still working!
The good news is, they have a support forum with some pretty helpful
Watchguard people moderating it, and even a few customers who try to help
people out. Bad news is, I've yet to get a question completely answered
They have a forum, yes, but the s/n ratio is terrible and the overall quality of the responses even by Watchguard support personnel is far from impressive.

via their incident response system. Barring disaster, I generally try to
figure a problem out myself, since every time I contact support they
immediately request that I let them connect and play with the
configuration..which isn't going to happen. It makes me wonder if
The next suggestion by their support is going to be "just rebuild the configuration from scratch and see if the problem goes away". Either try to find a knowledgeable person with the partner you purchased the box through, or demand to have the ticket escalated to second level.

outsourcing can really be worth it, considering the fact that it generally
results in customers getting irritated with it and then requesting a US
representative anyway. Why not just get it right the first time?
I'm glad I'm not the only one left with that impression.  I'm going to go
back over my personal evaluation criteria and tweak the support parts to
match what I see as good.  I also think that I'm going to go back to
building more open source based firewalls- the idea behind a commercial
product is support and consistency.  I'm not seeing good things in either
department.
At one point I had to work with Watchguard firewalls most of the time. They really are oriented towards beginners for whom network security is a relatively new field and part-time duty of their job. I'm seeing some great products with rather good management software. I don't share your pessimistic view of the commercial firewall vendor space, and I certainly wouldn't want to go back to building firewalls myself from open source components again though - there's so many things to worry about (logging securely, log file management, distributed firewall management, clustering, VPN inteoperability, link redundancy, patch management..., remote upgrades, downgrades...) that I'd much rather pick a commercial solution with a reasonable architecture and management.

I'm also pretty sure that you are mixing up their Vclass and Firebox product lines. They have nothing in common AFAIR.

-- Jan