Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Opinion: Worst interface ever.

From: StefanDorn () bankcib com
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 09:46:05 -0500

"Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net> wrote on 07-05-2005 09:16:07 AM:

But what counts as specific?  Is a port more or less specific than an
address?  Is a protocol less specific than a user?  If they do an ASIC
rev, is my happy little ruleset going to do something different if I
have
to replace a box?

A rule allowing connections from a specified IP over a specified port to a
specified IP and port will be considered overall more specific than
something allowing any IP to connect to a certain IP and port. As far as
protocol, I assume they aren't being included in the equation; for users,
two rules that are the same, but one specifying certain users should take
priority over the more general one, for those users. Basically, it seems
like anything that could be considered 'more specific' will add weight to
a rules' being processed ahead of another rule. They really just need
something added into the management UI that considers your rules, weighs
them in, and ranks them with the same logic as the firebox is using on
them.

I think their marketing department needs smacked.  I didn't even start
go on about having three interfaces in the box I can't use unless I pay
more money.

I was saddened when I found out that three of the ports are just for show
until I shell out more cash. When I purchase a piece of hardware, I expect
to be able to use the features that are available on it. If I need an
upgrade, I expect to buy an expansion card, or a new unit. Since the
Fireware Pro package allows for multiple WAN connections and fail-over
options, the interface upgrade cost is just another item that will hold me
back on upgrading to Fireware.

I'm glad I'm not the only one left with that impression.  I'm going to
go
back over my personal evaluation criteria and tweak the support parts to
match what I see as good.  I also think that I'm going to go back to
building more open source based firewalls- the idea behind a commercial
product is support and consistency.  I'm not seeing good things in
either
department.

In all fairness, I think WatchGuard is trying pretty hard to create a good
product. The WFS series of management software seems oriented towards
people just starting to get involved with enterprise grade firewall
administration, and in the grand scheme of things is pretty easy to get up
and running, albeit only modestly secure if the admin doesn't know what
they are doing. (But that's user error, not really WatchGuard's fault.)
With the Fireware Pro line, they definitely are attempting to create a
package geared towards more expert users. I can appreciate that, but I
think I'm going to let it mature a while longer before I consider using it
in a production environment.

Stefan