Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Discretionary WiFi Access

From: Josh Welch <jwelch () buffalowildwings com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:56:58 -0500

Jim Seymour wrote:
"Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net> wrote:

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Josh Welch wrote:

I have setup an access point outside of our firewall for this express
purpose. It is wide open and I simply monitor port usage to keep an eye
out for any abuse, it hasn't been an issue so far.

Isn't this kind of SBCYF[1]?

"Kind of?" ;)

Another thing, which I haven't seen discussed: It seems probable that
the access in question would naturally be less restricted than what's
normally allowed by ones corporate firewall, yeah?  (Well, unless one
has killed their firewall [1] ;).)  E.g.: Perhaps SMTP, POP3, IMAP, Net
Meeting (*barf*), etc., unfiltered.  You'll want some way to keep
employees with wireless capability from accessing your insecure
courtesy WLAN--particularly whilst they're connected to your secured
LAN (router, anybody?).

Now this is a much more interesting argument to me. One which I will
take up with my management. I'm a bit annoyed that this one didn't occur
to me in the first place.

Thanks,
Josh