Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Once again..appliance firewall input requested

From: Victor Williams <vbwilliams () neb rr com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:18:51 -0600

I have basically all the same requirements as you. I use Cisco PIX, and won't use anything else. You can buy 2 brand new units (1 unrestricted, 1 failover) of the PIX 515E for less than $9000 total with 6 physical interfaces and a VPN Accelerator card. As always, get the 24x7 support/replacement contracts for each device, just in case one goes bad. Thing I like about Cisco, they don't muck around trying to troubleshoot. If you call in and say "It's dead Jim", they have another one shipped before you get off the phone.

I have yet to see an intuitive interface in a firewall product...they all have their interpretation of similar/same featuresets, but I have come to like Cisco's PDM for their pix. It all happens over SSL, and depending on your connection to the device can be clunky, but I find it very usable. That being said, give me CLI anyday.

Personally, I haven't had a PIX die yet (I know people who have though, and they've gotten replacements within the same day), but I've been using them for over 5 years. Nothing but rock solid performance for me.

As for logging, PIX sends it all to SNMP traps or Syslog servers. I never wanted a firewall to do that for me, I always just wanted a dump of the data, and I pick what data I want by my own means, so the PIX logging may not be enough for you.

Matt Bazan wrote:

Ok <takes deep breath>..I may be in need of a replacement solution for
our current firewall appliances (two NetScreen 50s running in an active
/ passive high availability solution).  For reasons I won't get into (NS
being purchased by Juniper?) my trust in these units has been badly
eroded.  I'd like input on what people are using and their satisfaction
levels with them.

Our requirements:

        1) We run a rapidly growing 24X7 web presence.  As our Internet
uplink is 4Mb (ok, this will soon be going up..but only by a couple
Mb..) we don't need a beefy packet pushing device. 2) We have 25 or so inbound NATs. I like to have 'granular'
control over source and dest NAT.  By this I mean being able to split
these features based upon traffic flow and not having to create the
typical bi-directional NAT mapping.
        3) Need for 20 or so box-to-box VPNs.  Auto key and manual key
with the usual VPN flavors
        4) The basic requirements for setting policy based access (blah
blah)
        5) 3 interfaces (4 ideal)
        6) High availability solution
        6) Static routing only
        7) Intuitive web gui
        8) 'Robust' command line feature set
        9) Detailed reporting
        10) Configuration flexibility a must.  I'll leave this to your
imagination.
        11) Something I can setup and it will *work* *work* *work*
        12) I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting but I'm suffering from
NetScreen induced sleep deprivation and am tired of typing.
        13) <=$15K for pair of units

Thanks for the input!