Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX responding with SYN+ACK to SYN+ACK probe sent on open port

From: L Cubed <lllcubed () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:38:08 -0600

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:28:02 +0100, Martin Mačok
<martin.macok () underground cz> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:18:09AM -0600, L Cubed wrote:
snip, snip, snip

% hping2 -S -A -c 1 -p <open_tcp_port> <pix>
                                                                     ^^^^^
My quick (initial) test to get you some feedback targeted the pix, not
an address past the pix, which is what was requested.
There was nothing to block a SYN+ACK response between the test machine
and the pix.

I agree that targeting a host address protected by the pix returns a
response, but is a RST+ACK in my version and configuration.

Answer is:  A
Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.1(4)

Did you really run it against open tcp port? (ie. the one you get
(D) when sending just "-S" packet?)

Is it default configuration of PIX or is there something
changed/turned on/off?

Since we are talking about this in the context of pentesting, I'll
share a bit more, since it looks like there are some differences, and
they maybe attributed to configuration.  Unfortunately, I don't
currently have a test box where I can vet some of this, so I try to
limit speculation to a minimum..

The firewall tested against is still using conduits, not acls.  This
*could* explain the difference.

Acl conversion is scheduled.