Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Secure Windows? was How to Save the World

From: Rick Murphy <rmurphy () mitretek org>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:23:40 -0500

At 10:14 PM 12/23/2004, Barney Wolff wrote:
On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 04:25:35PM -0500, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

> That _would_ be useful, if it weren't for the fact that I can only use it > on a single computer. If, I wanted to use their tools as a consultant, > it'd cost me $11,000 per year! While that might be ok for E&Y, it's a
> little steep for PDR ;)

ISTR something similar regarding fwtk, back in the paleozoic.

Yup, triggered by a induhvidual that was making a business of selling firewalls to companies then telling them that their tech support was mailto:fwtk-support () tis com - we had a customer of theirs that effectively expected TIS to manage his firewall for free.

Presumably your clients can each download and install, themselves,
without your fingers ever touching a keyboard.

At least the initial intent was to allow that - it was OK for you to sell yourself as the support person for a company using FWTK; over time that became more and more restrictive. I don't think the current FWTK owners distribute it any longer, which I think is a good thing.
        -Rick