Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Secure Windows? was How to Save the World

From: Barney Wolff <barney () databus com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:46:50 -0500

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 11:06:19AM -0500, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Barney Wolff wrote:

That _would_ be useful, if it weren't for the fact that I can only use it
on a single computer.  If, I wanted to use their tools as a consultant,
it'd cost me $11,000 per year!  While that might be ok for E&Y, it's a
little steep for PDR ;)

ISTR something similar regarding fwtk, back in the paleozoic.
Presumably your clients can each download and install, themselves,
without your fingers ever touching a keyboard.

That's a fine line to tread though- if they think it's worth $11,000 to
consultants, then I'll respect that- it's not worth that much to me.

While it was clearly unethical (and unlawful) to charge clients for
installing fwtk, I did not consider it unethical to advise them to
do so, where there were sysadmins perfectly capable of doing it for
themselves.  I did not mean that I stood next to them while they
did it, which I agree would have been weaseling.

A decade later, that code is still running.

Barney

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.