Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: External Load Balancing

From: Kevin <kkadow () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:31:05 -0600

In the end choosing a load balancer product comes down to
Price/Performance/Protocols.

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:51:19 +0100, Leonardo Valcamonici
<l.valcamonici () caspur it> wrote:
we have a brand new F5 BigIP 3400 and it works like a charm. We'd tested
against a Radware WSD AS2 before choosing F5. We liked very much overall
performance and how to administer it: it's a linux based machine you can
configure both via a web gui and ssh. Customer support is also great.

I've worked on Cisco (CSS and SLB), F5 (BigIP), and Radware (WSD and
Fireproof) products, and decided against deploying the F5 in part
because "it's a linux(?) based machine you can configure both via a
web gui and ssh".  (Isn't Big-IP still customized BSDi?)

One advantage of the Radware products is that they are true
appliances, and you can tightly lock down remote management protocols.
 If you want to use a GUI, it is available, if you want to make
changes via a serial console port, that is also an option.

Radware has been very good about providing eval hardware and both eval
and post-purchase support.  I've had mixed results with F5 support,
and usually the answer I get from Cisco is "Oh, our product doesn't do
that.  Maybe in a future version".

Kevin "My only compensation from Radware is the free pen and polo
shirt I received in 2002" Kadow