Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Multiple firewalls from different manufactureres

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:35:08 -0500 (EST)

"Eugene Kuznetsov" <eugene () datapower com> wrote:

Of Keith A. Glass

Yes and no.  You CAN put up a decent firewalling solution
using commodity computers, especially the 1-U units (Dell
1700-series, HP Proliant DL360s, etc. . ) and either Linux,
Solaris (now that it's free) or some flavor of BSD, and the
firewall of your choice.  I just wish some of the vendors
would allow their FW solution to be available outside the
"appliance" vehicle (Yes, I'm talking about Symantec and
Secure Computing. . .)

Hmm, this is pretty interesting, because it's contrary to what I hear
elsewhere.

Where is this "elsewhere?"  Because, in the circles in which *I*
travel--marginally- to very-experienced admins--not a one of 'em wants
a sealed black-box solution that needs a proprietary 'doze-based
point-n-drool GUI "admin" tool.

           Could you talk about why you would rather get software instead of
a sealed appliance --
[snip]

For many of the same reasons I prefer Unix over Windows.  For many of
the same reasons I prefer *open* standards over vendor-specific
so-called "standards." For many of the same reasons I prefer open
source to closed source.  They all boil down to choice and
flexibility.

Regards,
Jim
--
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is
web form at <http://jimsun.linxnet.com/scform.php>.