Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Linux Firewall Distributions

From: "Daniel Chemko" <dchemko () smgtec com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:53:56 -0700

Skander Ben Mansour wrote:
Hi Firewall-Wizards,

Does anyone have experience with Linux based Firewall/Router
distributions ?

I am looking for a cost-effective firewall capable of handling three
security domains (Internal Network, the Internet, and a DMZ) for a
SOHO.

A hardened linux box running NetFilter/IPtables with three network
cards looks like a good fit.
However, I would also welcome suggestions regarding low-budget
hardware firewalls meeting these requirements.

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/
Looking at the distro, I think they're targetting true micro-devices the
'uC' in some projects there means targeting CPU's without MMU's

http://www.smoothwall.org/
Seems to be a decent distro. They tend to make more stable, somewhat
obsolete releases. It might not have the bells ans whistles at least in
the free edition.

http://www.devil-linux.org/
This just uses fwbuilder(www.fwbuilder.org)

There is also Shorewall which man people seem to enjoy.

Outside that, there aren't many serious projects out to fulfill the GUI
compoennt of netfilter. If your doing some complex networking, it might
be a good idea that you got yourself a little dirty into the iptables
command and actually learn what the networking sub-systems are doing. It
makes troubleshooting a vastly simpler.