Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SMTP forwarding question

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:27:18 -0400 (EDT)

Attila Nagy <bra () fsn hu> wrote:

Hello,

I have a problem in my mind and I am curious on what do you think about
the possible solutions.

The problem: there is a network from which all outgoing SMTP connections
should be handled by the company's mail gateway (virus and spam
checking, etc) BUT the roaming users must be able to use their
companies' SMTP server, possibly via SMTP AUTH (with or without
starttls) and/or POP before SMTP (or any other solutions which work over
tcp/25).
[snip]

First a clarification is in order.  When you say "BUT the roaming
users," whose roaming users is it to which you refer: That company's
roaming users or roamers visiting that company?

If they're the company's roaming users, doesn't the company get to set
the standard by which they are allowed to connect to the company's mail
server whilst on the road?  If not: Said company has at least one
serious problem.

If they're roaming users from elsewhere, visiting the company, then I
would suggest proxying or forwarding outbound ports 465 (SMTPS), 587
(submission) and 995 (pop3s) and let their individual mail service
providers worry about supplying the appropriate services on those
ports.

Jim