Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PKI is the pits?

From: "Eugene Kuznetsov" <eugene () datapower com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:40:09 -0400

I read this, and I'm not impressed. I'd like to offer the following
commentary:

1. in my experience, public key cryptography is far more prevalent that full
public key infrastructure, which means that many of these additional
complications are simply not present... obviously, sometimes this is a
security risk; the definition of PKI seem to vary in the eye of the beholder

2. simpler protocols and solutions are far more prevalent than their more
advanced cousins; for example, people use simple HTTP-CRL's much more than
OCSP; sometimes "key revocation" is accomplished by simply deleting
authorized certs from gateways or servers

3. every large organization has some kind of PKI in place, although its
penetration into all of the applications is often limited; this is probably
because both of the challenges cited and the lack of strong business
requirement

4. one of the most frequent uses of "PKI" is partners connecting to
extranets by using mutually authenticated SSL; usually there is absolutely
no "infrastructure", other than loading authorized cert (or signing cert)
onto the access control proxy or maybe into LDAP; revocation involves
deleting the cert.

5. some of the work in XKMS and web services more generally does address
some of the traditional pkI challenges, and also creates a new field of
application for the technology; digital signatures of individual
transactions and public key encryption are probably getting more used now
than in the preceding 20 years, precisely because of WS-Security, SAML, etc;
unfortunately, XKMS is not taking off as quickly as one might hope

\\ Eugene Kuznetsov, Chairman & CTO  : eugene () datapower com
\\ DataPower Technology, Inc.        : Web Services security
\\ http://www.datapower.com          : XML-aware networks