Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

PKI is the pits?

From: Christopher Hicks <chicks () chicks net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:37:48 -0400 (EDT)

I got this in my Linux Today newsletter for today:

        EBCVG: TEN THINGS I WISH THEY WARNED ME ABOUT PKI

        "In this paper we look at a number of pratical organizational
        issues that pure PKI suppliers often fail to mention..."

        COMPLETE STORY:
        http://nl.internet.com/ct.html?rtr=on&s=1,166k,1,48kz,m734,bfaz,g6x1

My read of the actual article (which you can find directly at http://www.ebcvg.com/articles.php?id=271 if you want to avoid getting clicktracked) ... the actual article is much more scathing than this short summary would indicate. I don't think many folks would even try to implement PKI after reading this. So, as a rather lazy Linux admin I'm compelled to ask: do others who have swallowed the PKI pill lived to tell the story? Is it really this bad? What can be done better? Is anybody trying to do it better?

--
</chris>

Westheimer's Discovery:
  "A coupla months in the laboratory can save a coupla hours in the library."