Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DMZ Ideas

From: "Luke Butcher" <Luke.Butcher () alphawest com au>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:55:28 +1000

MAC Authentication/filtering immediately screams 802.1x so I'd suggest
something that supports that, but this would be implemented at the
access points, so wont change how your DMZ is setup.
I don't know how the network is setup, but vlans would be a minimum if
you can't have physically separate switches. Then just pump this
lan/vlan into a separate interface on your firewall.

There's also a family of products made by Bluesocket that may fit the
situation as well. Checkout their website www.bluesocket.com, works
quite well but not sure if it'll support the RF tagging gear your usng.
More aimed at the laptop/PDA market.
Disclaimer: The company I work for are resellers of Bluesocket gear but
all opinions contained herein are my own.

Luke Butcher
Network/Security Consultant
Alphawest Services Pty Ltd
www.alphawest.com.au