Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Ethics, morality, and mental retardation

From: MHawkins () TULLIB COM
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 10:10:45 -0500

Hi Miha,

you said: "Yes, a criminal looses his rights when he is in jail, but he gets
them back when he does his time. Including the right to have a job he likes,
not a job someone else thinks he ought to have."

That's not exactly true. Many courts around the world impose various
measures to ensure that people do not repeat offend and or that they do not
endanger society, the public and or individuals. The idea that people are
completely free of any incumbrance the moment they walk out of jail is
simply untrue.

Some examples:

Pedarists are required to stay atleast X yards away from schools.
Some drunk drivers who kill on the road do time and THEN are only permitted
to drive to work.
Armed robbers are NOT permitted to own a gun - EVER.
Company office holders cannot become incorporated and cannot hold public
company positions.
Lawyers are disbarred.
Politicians must resign and cannot hold public office again.

And the list goes on.

I wrote a virus myself once (of the MS word macro variety) and could have
unleashed it on the unsuspecting world. I have had many, many HUGE
opportunities to hack into external systems. I have had many many
opportunities to leave time bombs over the years. I have had the opportunity
to access the systems of past employers and do untold damage. However, by
NOT doing these things I demonstrated strong ethical judgement and
responsibility as most of us in the networking/infosce community do.

Mitnick and co. demonstrated poor ethical judgement and carried out illegal
activities which they, for the most part and to this day, consider a public
service.

In my opinion, having been convicted of perpetrating an information crime,
these people should be required to find alternative employment. If the
courts (who are simply behind the eight ball on this) won't apply such
punitive and or corrective action then our voices in the wider infosec
community are needed to ensure that our own industry does not fall into
disrepute and is discredited. The corruptive influence of establishing
former convicted felons as luminaries in our industry is dangerous and
cannot be advocated.

Mike Hawkins
(The opinions presented in this email are my own and reflect no opinion held
by any other party or individual, implied or inferred).