Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: "Karl Mueller" <karlm () acshelp com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 10:06:53 -0400

Maybe one reason is this the trend to route mission critical info over the
Internet (albeit over VPN tunnels). We'd like to say that you MUST use
private lines for really secure information, but money tends to talk in
these situations. Since a lot of networks span multiple sites, and WAN
prices don't scale well, buisnesses are turning to the Internet and VPNs as
a way to make their sites well-connected without the cost of a full-mesh FRS
or private-line network. Of course a well-configured VPN router will block
all traffic that does not come through the tunnel, this is still not an 'air
gap' since you're still physically connected to the Internet. In this case,
one small config error on your firewall/VPN endpoint opens up your entire
network to the Internet.

--Karl