Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: CIsco PIX vulnerable to TCP RST DOS attacks

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 08:56:03 -0400

-----Original Message-----
Cisco have released an advisory [1] hot on the heels of the
NISCC TCP RST advisory [2]. Cisco's advice is to upgrade
images where a network device is a connection endpoint. Question :-

If a PIX, or any other firewall/device for that matter, is
performing NAPT/Hide NAT/PAT/NAT then as far as the TCP
conversation is concerned is it a connection end point or a
transit device ?

The answer I received to this question is that, no, the TCP RST attack
does not affect a PIX performing NAT/PAT functions for hosts with TCP
services.  What it DOES affect is PIX devices that can be reached via
HTTPS/SSH/Telnet.  For well-designed environments, this type of
connection shouldn't be possible from public networks.

Of course, I have to wonder whether or not a redirected service that
uses one of the TCP fixups (like HTTP) would still be affected, since
they are something along the lines of a proxy.  I haven't tested this
and do not know one way or the other.  Anybody from Cisco that's close
to this issue want to comment?

PaulM