Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAT Pseudo Security

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 02:26:17 +0200

"Lee T. Christie" wrote:

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were utilizing NAT as your only
security mechanism

Whee, a pet peeve of mine!

Rather than rehash everything I've said on this topic, I'll point
you towards a couple of posts I've made in the last couple of years:

- "SOHO/personal firewalls over-represented in vulnerability statistics"
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=firewalls-gc&m=102806709301313&w=2

- "Soapbox on firewall evals"
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=firewalls-gc&m=96056133301474&w=2

- "NAT for a simple network"
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=firewall-wizards&m=106098254513920&w=2

- A thread where Ben Nagy and I were slugging it out on
  "dumb NATs" vs "real firewalls". Unfortunately cut short
  because of gnac's 10k message length limit.
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=firewalls-gc&m=97000232225128&w=2

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Torggatan 10, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden