Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:55:40 -0400

Devdas Bhagat wrote:
Personally, I would go with a service centric approach to security,
rather than a host centric approach. This is where most security systems
appeared to lead, until we ended up with too many services to manage.

You're totally correct.

I used to preach that back in 1990 when I was first teaching firewall
systems analysis. You can see how well it's worked!! <LOL>

When I used to audit clients' firewalls (back in the days when people
actually wanted their firewall policies to be understood and thought
about before implementing them) the first question was "what are
the different roles of computing on your network?"   So we'd take
all the roles of computing (back in the days when organizations actually
KNEW that they did with their networks) and we'd draw a connectivity
matrix between those different roles. Internet access was just another
role. The cells of the connectivity matrix got loaded with the services
that were necessary between the different roles. The details of how the
services got back and forth was left to the final stage, once it was
agreed that the service was necessary. Services were treated as
high-level concepts (e.g: "file transfer" not "FTP" or "port 24")
Then you could walk through and talk about transport for services
and mitigation for attacks at an enterprise-role level. It was always
a very "clarifying" exercise.

Usually part way through someone would stand on their chair and
yell, "this is COMPLICATED!""   Well, yeah.  Transitive trust and
transitive access *are* complicated. And if you don't think about
them, you can have firewalls and host security until you're purple
in the face and you've accomplished nothing except making your
firewall and host security vendors happy.

Nobody wants to think about transitive trust and transitive access.
Those are big issues that most organizations treat as "solved" or
"nonexistent" depending on their maturity. In truth, they are extremely
complex problems that should not be swept under the rug lightly.

mjr.