Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)

From: "Ben Nagy" <ben () iagu net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:29:10 +0200

Heya,

Well, I see your point, BUT...

If we're talking real world, my experience is that virtually every company
that is large enough to be complex is wide open to multiple worm infection
vectors. A well designed worm (for a change) would go through the first
world like curry through a drunk. Firewalls don't really help very much -
every major organisation that gets w0rmed already had one (and YES, I'm sure
they had 139 445 and 1025 closed).

This is not news, and that's part of the reason I work in "vulnerability
management" now.

Did you see this:
http://www.dtc.umn.edu/weis2004/weaver.pdf

I like Weaver / Paxons' stuff, but in this case I think they are being
conservative.

My stance: Stack-based remote system windows exploits need to be identified
and patched yesterday, end of story. Anything else is downright negligent.
"Mitigation" (eg pseudo airgaps, firewalls, pixies and unicorns) has failed
in 911 systems, utilities, airline reservation systems, coastguard,
banks.... - all of which included "isolated networks".

The trouble is that people are so punch-drunk now with MS patches that
nobody knows "critical" from "critical and urgent". I think that OS vendors
_and_ the research community could do more to address that issue. It will
only get worse - a 0day worm would knock our socks off.

To me, amongst the plethora of product, service and snake oil there are two
evolving solution spaces that solve real problems. Host based vulnerability
mitigation, and anything that allows an organisation to condense and
prioritise information about where they are exposed to known vulnerabilities
in realtime. Firewalls remain a critical part of any infrastructure, of
course, but, to be frank, they just don't work as well anymore.

Actually, I feel so strongly about this I'm going to go ahead and cc the
list on a unicast response. Sorry - and, Ken, please don't interpret this as
a flame or rant against you. I think you must have just touched a nerve. ;)

Cheers,

ben