Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: IPv6 comes in the game

From: "Sloane, David" <DSloane () vfa com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 11:56:13 -0400

Lorand,

Maybe I'm not understanding your question, but doesn't the IPv6 address
of Host-A include Host-A's (reported) MAC address?

For example, in RFC 1884 - IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture -
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1884.html

"   Site-Local addresses have the following format:

    |   10     |
    |  bits    | n bits  |    m bits     |       118-n-m bits         |
    +----------+---------+---------------+----------------------------+
    |1111111011|    0    |   subnet ID   |       interface ID         |
    +----------+---------+---------------+----------------------------+"

and RFC 2073 - An IPv6 Provider-Based Unicast Address Format -
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2073.html

"     |                64 bits             |  16 bits  |     48 bits

      +--------------------------------+-----------+------------------+
      |       Subscriber Prefix        | Subnet ID |   Interface ID   |

It seems like you can allow only specific IPv6 addresses based on
specific MAC addresses and restrict everything else.

Of course, this doesn't fix MAC address spoofing.  If you can't get your
802.1x per-port authentication to work, you could do per-port VLAN's.
But that would add another configuration step and opportunity for error,
not to mention pretty complex switch configurations.

The problem with 802.1x that I've had is finding good troubleshooting
tools to figure out what's breaking and what's working.

-David