Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:42:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Mark Gumennik wrote:

LINUX on a desktop? - I am going back to desktop administration right
away. Hooray! - we will get paid more money than security gurus! And
instead of getting 5 people per 1000 users (whatever the standard is
right now) we will have to hire 25. Go employment for IS, I mean us !
AND how the heck do you propose to manage AAA? Any replacement for
domain infrastructure? - the only one I know today that is better then
MS is Novell NDS (and btw it's 10 years more mature, and btw it works on
LINUX ) Shall we use NDS? - Go back to that monster? Was it better
under their dictatorship?
AND: where do you get the info about LINUX being more secure than the
Big Bad ? Read any serious info , like from bagtrack, LINUX had more
vulnerabilities for the past 3 years than any given MS OS

If we counted each and every addon app under windows, like the counts that
are done for linux, then the numbers would reflect the problems that
windows systems and the application folks use under tthat OS.  Now what is
Linux and what should be counted as a vuln against it?  Should we only
count what is in the kernel and perhaps the modules that folks can decide
to use?  Or do we count each and ever package that might be added in?  Not
all linux installs of course require a web server, or dns/bind.  Many do
not even include or require X.  Watch how you read these vuln reports in
the major media channels, and even on good ole bgtrack, they are slanted
to make MS and redmond look sweeter these days <smile>.[0]

AND: I don't like the fact that LINUX security is mostly sponsored by
German and some other governments, just don't like it. Do you seriously
check all the code before installing the OS? Every distro?

the German goverment now directs linux security?  you do have pointers to
this to backup such a claim?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

[0] folks tend to not want to bite the company with the deep pockets from
whence they all feed these days.  even this list has shown a trend to
shift in this direction.
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!