Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: (no subject)

Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:48:28 -0600

You can filter in the PIX dropping logging of mundane things like
"connection permitted" since you have to explicitly allow a connection. You
can do this with the "no logging message" command.

I prefer Kiwi Syslog for logging. It allows you to do everything that you
have specified, plus you can set it up to alert as well as use it to
generate a hash on the log that you can use to ensure log integrity. The
filtering capabilities are very robust and you can configure it to archive
every hour for example. About the only complaint I have with Kiwi is that it
isn't web enabled so you can't view it from a remote workstation unless you
run it in terminal services for example. I'm told there are some third party
plugins for it that provide that functionality however (haven't had time to
mess with it myself).

HTH

Wes Noonan
mailinglists () wjnconsulting com
http://www.wjnconsulting.com
Hardening Network Infrastructure - A concise how to guide
Available Spring 2004
Order at http://tinyurl.com/2nof4