Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)

From: George Capehart <capegeo () opengroup org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:57:04 -0400

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 08:29 am, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2004, George Capehart wrote:
*crawls out from under rock, drags out soap box*

Seems to me this is less a case of security being the tail trying
to wag the dog as it is a case of users being the tail that
actually wags the dog.  One must wonder who is running the company.
 These are policy issues, for crying out loud!  Sounds like it's
time to introduce a certification and accreditation process into
those organizations. Doesn't have to be as rigorous as DITSCAP or
SP 800-37 . . . just something that forces the people in the
company who are supposed to be managing the risk to do so . . . or
formally, in writing, accept the risk that they're *not* managing.

The main issue I've seen is that traditionally, the person ordered to
make rule changes is not often empowered to reject changes, or even
require written justification.

Yep.  That's the problem.  :>  A C&A process would go a long way to
solving it . . .  But, as you point out below, *having* and *enforcing*
a C&A process is, in itself, a matter of policy . . .  ;}

This is the reason that a security policy is important.  If your
security policy enumerates who can authorize changes, what the
default stance is, and how risk is to be investigated- then you're
way ahead of the users dictate policy game.

When you do it right, it works.  At my last employer, I had a
division vice president who thought that my insistence that they
waddle out from behind their desks to a second computer in their
office to use a new application they were evaluating was too
inconvenient for them.  They tried to override me, and when they
scheduled a meeting with the corporate CIO to go over my head, the
CIO invited me to explain the policy.

Because I'd done all the policy stuff up-front, and because I'd
regularly haul the CIO into a conference room and make him understand
the risks by doing a half-hour to hour of whiteboarding, where we
discussed the network and business risks of various things, as well
as detection and protection strategies, I had really good solid
backing.

This is an example of a well-functioning risk management process at
work.  The absence of policy and/or policy enforcement is a symptom of
a poor or non-existent risk management process.  I submit that an
organization that allows users to "set policy" either has no risk
management process or, if it does, it is so weak that it might as well
not exist.  And, anticipating the point made in the next paragraph,
this organization has no idea of the cost of the exposure it has.

The cost of risk is very important.

Hear, hear!

If people in the business expect
that "open a port on the firewall" sorts of things are all that's
needed to accept new risk, then you'll get lots of requests, and
they'll be very difficult to stop, since almost anything can be
justified in a forward looking basis (the trick is to get the finance
people to account for the benefits and history of the projections.)-
but if people have to pay for risk mitigation, and it's a part of the
process, then you tend to get only the requests that really have some
business merit.  "We need to reduce this connectivity by buying this
network infrastructure, these licenses and 1/2 of a FTE" tends to
have a pretty good self-moderating impact on things that aren't
strategically important to the organization.

And on the flip side, requiring the business owner of a system to
formally acknowledge and accept the residual risk *in writing*, is a
powerful tool in helping to manage^Wminimize residual risk . . .  :-)

In the end, I guess, the real challenge is to sell those naive
organizations on the value of actively managing their IT risks and the
costs of not doing so.

George