Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Certification

From: Chris Pugrud <chris () pugrud net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 05:22:29 -0700 (PDT)

I'm in the middle of a graduate degree in Information Security and Assurance.
about half of the classes are open notes/book/whatever (Internet if the
wireless is having a good day).  Most of these tests are much harder because no
amount of searching the materials will find you the answer.  You have to
understand the question and how to answer it.  Searching the
book/notes/slides/google will help you find details required and specific
technical figures, but you have to know what you are looking for.  It's a bit
more like real life.

I've found certifications to only be useful in getting jobs.  If you are a
consultant, you are constantly "getting jobs" and will find that cert much more
valuable.  Getting various certifications has been rewarding based upon
incentives from current employers, but certifications don't help people keep
their job.

Certifications have helped me tell colorful stories in interviews, but I
honestly doubt I've ever been hired for a certification.  I have never hired
anyone based upon their certification, but it was something I took into account
in the interview (i.e. if someone is certified, I drill them extra hard on that
area to make sure they really understand the material, and not just the test).

It's like life: IANAL, YMMV, TANSTAAFL, etc...

Chris

--- hermit921 <hermit921 () yahoo com> wrote:
I took a graduate computer class in graph theory several years ago.  The
professor handed out the class notes the first day and told us all exams
were open book (including his notes and any we might take).  I loved the
notes.  I could concentrate on his discussions of why and how since the
what was already documented.  The exams were difficult  - "diagram an
algorithm and explain why that approach is a good one" - and the notes
didn't help one bit.  But it was a great class.  I wish certification exams
could be done that way.

hermit