Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: More Syslog Questions

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:03:55 -0400

Devdas Bhagat wrote:
On Linux, the chattr command on ext2/3 filesystems is useful. From man
chattr
      A file with the `a' attribute set  can  only  be  open  in
      append  mode for writing.  Only the superuser or a process
      pessessing the CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE capability can  set  or
      clear this attribute.

Is this Linux specific, or did the BSD guys change this, too? The original
idea of immutable files was that they were, uh, um, immutable. Making
them "immutable except by root" is stupid - that's the same as saying
chown root file && chmod 700 file

The original idea of immutable files was that you could rename them
(so you could rotate logs) but otherwise they'd be append-only unless
you brought the system into a secure state to operate on them. Yes,
that requires a reboot - but that's the Right Thing in this case.

Hmm... I am just musing as to how web servers/web services and
the Internet Explosion have made "scheduled reboot" no longer
particularly acceptable. I used to think nothing of having my firewall
restart itself every monday at 4:00am - the 30 seconds of downtime
were acceptable. Gone are those days.

mjr.