Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: More Syslog Questions

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:33:26 +0530

On 13/07/04 15:10 -0500, Nathaniel Hall wrote:
Since someone asked a question about syslog, I thought I would add a couple
of my own.
I am in the process of setting up a centralized syslog server running RedHat
AS3.  Currently, I am using syslog as our daemon, but have heard there are
other, better solutions.  What do you suggest?

I know of syslog-ng and metalog as alternatives.

Mr. Ranum, you spoke to my co-worker at Usenix on this topic, would you mind
posting your response to this:

In an effort to make the log server as secure as possible, I would like to
find a way to use an append only file system.  Unfortunately, if this is
done, logs cannot be rotated using logrotate so the server must be taken
down to single user mode to rotate the logs, causing the loss of many log
entries.
On Linux, the chattr command on ext2/3 filesystems is useful. From man
chattr
       A file with the `a' attribute set  can  only  be  open  in
       append  mode for writing.  Only the superuser or a process
       pessessing the CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE capability can  set  or
       clear this attribute.

chattr +a file to set it
chattr -a to unset it

No reboots required. This is not really useful if the remote attacker
gains root privileges, but it might work in your case.

Devdas Bhagat