Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

FEP - Firewall enhancement protocol

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 02:22:10 +1000 (EST)

How many people here have heard of this little horror ?

http://www.iptel.org/info/players/ietf/firewall/

From its abstract:

"Internet Transparency via the end-to-end architecture of the Internet
 has allowed vast innovation of new technologies and services [1]. However,
 recent developments in Firewall technology have altered this model and
 have been shown to inhibit innovation. We propose the Firewall Enhancement
 Protocol (FEP) to allow innovation, without violating the security model
 of a Firewall. With no cooperation from a firewall operator, the FEP
 allows ANY application to traverse a Firewall..."

Kind of sounds like UPnP to me, but hey, what do I know :)

Darren