Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Radio Ethernet Modem Experiences

From: "Stewart, John" <johns () artesyncp com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:21:57 -0500

We had two buildings, about 1/4-mile apart, to connect.  I didn't want
to pay the recurring monthly T1 charges and getting rights-of-way
across all those intervening properties, plus crossing the street, was
unlikely.

We've got a similar situation now - new building 1000 feet away, and to get
a fiber run (because it goes through a mud puddle) requires all sorts of
variances and approval from the Department of Natural Resources.

We're planning on deploying an optical system. Should be right around $30k
all told, but we'll have gigabit bandwidth. Supposedly the beam is very
narrow (IR laser), so snooping should be a very minimal risk:

<http://www.usa.canon.com/html/industrial_canobeam/canobeam/canobeam130.html

We'll also be deploying a basic Aironet RF bridge for backup; on that I'm
much more concerned about security.

johnS