Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Radio Ethernet Modem Experiences

From: franco segna <fsegna () web de>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:24:35 +0200

For the RF implications and design basics you may take a look at
        http://sandbox.bellanet.org/~onno/the-guide/wifi/
and for some practical considerations at
        http://www.solwise.co.uk/los.htm
but for a solid design you will need an RF engineer (endangered species).

From the security point of view, consider the following:
1. design only single point-to-point encrypted links (you don't need dynamic authentication, and the buildings can safely be defined as static) 2. use only highly-directive antennas (as allowed from local regulations) to greatly reduce the possibility of detection, decoding, attacking or jamming (you will need anyway high-gain antennas to reach consistently - 99.0% availability - several thousand feet on 802.11b or 11g). High directivity means very narrow radiation/receiving patterns; any motivated attacker would be forced to use a similar antenna, from a location comprised in the narrow radiation lobe, and pointed with great precision toward one of the link ends.

Regards
Franco

Bruce Platt wrote:
This is slightly off-topic.

I'm looking for some information on experiences which you may have with
Radio Ethernet repeaters.  I need to connect several small LANS in separate
buildings which are several thousand feet apart and the cost of installing
fiber is too great.

Data rates will be modest across the entire LAN, so I think I can fit in the
bandwidth limitations of some of the 908 Mhz Spread Spectrum devices, or
even the 2.4 Ghz 802.11b devices (wep!).

Using these as bridges seems like a decent way of accomplishing what I need.

Have any of you used these before?  I can think of some of the gotchas,
like:

1. Oops, another building is in the way, one more unit needed,
2. Signal degradation due to weather,
3. Co-ax length from external antenna to device,
4. Potential security concerns on WEP units, though the data is not greatly
sensitive, ...

However, I can also see some war-driving type risks which I am not competent
to evaluate, though no dhcp servers will run, and all available LAN
addresses will be already occupied.

Since one doesn't know what one doesn't know, I am happy to learn from what
you have to offer.

Thanks and regards,

Bruce

--

Franco Segna  -  fsegna () web de
Key fingerprint = 704C 3070 70A0 680A 760D  025E D849 02AB 2309 87A3