Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Maximum number of subnets on a firewall

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 01:44:00 +0530

On 28/01/04 21:31 +0200, Paolo Supino wrote:

Hi

  The following story and question aren't product specific so please don't
try to attach it to any available product: I was asked to plan a network for
a group of 3 companies (all located in the same building and want to use the
same infrastracture). From gathering the requirements of each of the
companies I've concluded that all of them together will need 10 subnets
(including the subnet that is connected to the internet). Since the biggest
number of subnets per firewall that I ever installed was 6. Setting up 10
subnets on 1 firewall (to me) seems too much for me so I'm looking for a way
to have the 10 networks on 2 (or 3) different firewalls. If you have any
suggestions on a possible layout I'd be very happy to read it.
                        Internet        Cloud

                                    |                           |-C1 DMZ
                                Edge Router --------DMZ F/W-----|-C2 DMZ
                             /      |       \                   |-C3 DMZ
                     C1 LAN F/W  C2 LAN F/W  C3 LAN F/W

Hopefully, this might satisfy your requirements, with each C? LAN
Firewall actually being a 3 legged system.

Devdas Bhagat