Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Maximum number of subnets on a firewall

From: "Bill Royds" <broyds () rogers com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:28:37 -0500

This looks like a place for three firewalls, one for each company.
I would have the Internet connection coming to a router/switch that was in
front of each firewall.  Each firewall would then have a DMZ subnet (for its
Internet available host), a local segment (for the internal company network)
and perhaps an Intranet segment (if the company wanted to share data with
one of the other companies in a relatively secure manner). Each firewall
would then have no more than 4 segments (external DMZ, internal and
Intranet) and the design would isolate each company from the other by a
firewall.

The firewalls could be relatively cheap appliance boxes (Netscreen for
example) and would be replacing routers/switches anyway so should not add
much to the cost.