Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Allowing relay through Watchguard Firebox 1000

From: "Karl D. Mueller" <karlm () acshelp com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:40:44 -0500

We're having a very similar problem. We're using Exchange 5.5 as the
back-end email server. The odd thing is, we get the error only
intermittantly, and it's sometimes logged on the Exchange server (if it
were a problem with the Watchguard SMTP proxy, wouldn't it not get this
far and be logged on the WG rather than the Exch server?)

We've noticed that it happens almost exclusively with msn and hotmail
accounts (for what that's worth). And only from outbound SMTP custom
recipients.

My suggestion is to remove the SMTP proxy alltogether from the
watchguard, and just setup a port forward (1-to-1 NAT in
watchguard-speak) directly to your server. See if that makes a
difference. Unfortunately I can't convince my IT manager to do it, since
they want the attachment blocking. (I'm trying to get them to install a
SMTP virus scanner on the email server, rather than using the firewall..
Oh well.)

Hope this helps a little.

Karl Mueller  CCNP
Mobile 703 946 6638